In 1938 during the Great Depression the Home Owners Loan Corporation foreclosed and held The Martin Berry House for four years before finding a buyer. During the litigation the Meeks moved out of the house and rented it to Mr. and Mrs. Stanley Mitton. They ran a riding academy for one year along with their daughter Vlasta, known to everyone as Lossie. The Mittons were named in the suit brought by the Home Owner’s Loan Corporation along with the owners, the Meeks, as the Mittons occupied the residence at that time.
Later Lossie became the wife of Robert Jones, son of Edward Jones who had purchased what is now known as Jones Hardware from the Gillands in 1929. The Gillands had purchased the house and property from the Berrys, descendants of Martin, who still possessed part of his original tract.